Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Non Sweet Treat for the Sweetest!

I can't believe October is almost over! This year has just two months left! ahhhhhhh! Oh well, nothing you can do about it. Let's talk Halloween treats. Myself and a few friends are doing Weight Watchers and those treats can sure rack up the points. I thought I would make my friends a non-point treat.


I used a digi stamp from Deedee's Digis called 'Sweetest Treat' to make this post it note holder. You can usually find holiday themed post it note pads in the $1 aisle at Target and that's where I got this one. Target also had Halloween rub-ons (cat, pumpkins, spider) that I used on the coaster part.

I usually have a hard time finding adhesive to stick the ribbon on paper that will hold. I knew the Xyron Create-A-Sticker would work but didn't want the ribbon to have adhesive on the whole length. I finally figured out how to add adhesive to only the middle part of the ribbon.
Here's what I did:
I measured out how much of the ribbon I needed to have adhesive. In this case it was 8 1/4" out of 23.75". Laying the ribbon flat with dotted side up, I folded 7.5" of one end back over the ribbon and 8" of the other end back over the ribbon. The dotted side is inside now (see photo below).

Next you insert the ribbon into the Xyron making sure it is stacked evenly. Slowly pull ribbon through keeping it evenly stacked as you do. (see photo below)

Below you see it run completely through. This technique worked beautifully. You may get some sticky residue on the edge of the rest of the ribbon but you should be able to rub it off. I ran my fingernail along the edge of the ribbon before taking the plastic film off and that seemed to help.

I am entering this project in the following challenges:

Cupcake Craft Challenges: #114 Sweet Treats

Fab 'n' Funky: #45 Things that go bump in the night (Halloween projects)

Stamp Something: use digi stamp

Teddy Stampers: #22 anything goes

2 Sisters Challenge blog: #10 anything goes

All Sorts Challenge blog: #75 spots and stripes

Pear Tree Designs: #23 halloween

Paper Playtime: #22 Halloween

Crazy 4 Challenges: #C4C60 halloween

Sweet Stampin Challenge: #49 anything but a card

Flutter By Wednesday: #127 anything goes

Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my treat project and learned a new trick. Remember, always browse the $1 aisles because you never know what you'll find there. Before you leave, be sure and say Hi and let me know what you thought of today's post.

Happy Haunting!

Michele

21 comments:

Alysha said...

Great card, very cute and I love that you continued throughout the card, lovely surprise for someone, thanks for joining us at PTD this week, hugs Aly xxx

Danni said...

Very cute! Thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

Sharon said...

What a cutie.
Thanks for playing along at Fab'n'Funky this week, hope to see you aain next time.
Sharon x

Nisson Family said...

What a great project and your friend will love it! Thanks for participating in the Paper Playtime challenge.

Pam

clare said...

Very cute project and just the thing for a halloween treat! Thanks for joining us @PTD this week. Good Luck and Happy Halloween! x

Susie said...

Fab post it holder, love the digi too! Thanks for joining us at Pear Tree Designs this week and good luck x

Cherie said...

Hi Michelle, A fabulous creation.
Good luck with WW.
Thanks for playing along with Teddy Stampers, hope you can join us for our next one... It's our birthday blog hop.,whoohoo.
hugs cherie

Donna said...

Cute card!

Thanks for joining us at PTD and good luck

Donna x

Debs said...

Super cute project.
Thanks for playing along with my Spots & Stripes challenge at Allsorts this week.
Good luck.
Debs xx

Sandy said...

What a great little project! I love how it's a post it note holder. The front looks so cute and very eye catchy with the colors. Love the ribbon! VERY cute idea!!!

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Michele, what a fantastic creation and a brilliant idea. Love the images and thanks for the tip about the ribbon. Thanks for joining us at cupcake craft challenge this week. Hugs, Denise x

Janis said...

I loved your post! And Weight Watchers Rocks! Great project. Thanks for playing with us at Paper Playtime! :) Janis

Nancy Thomas said...

What a cute and fun Halloween card!

andrea said...

gorgeous poject and what a lovely gift idea thankyou for joining us at fab'n'funky
andrea

Missy said...

What a cute idea, love it!

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous card :-) I love this image ,, so cute and the papers and colours you used are fab :-)

great tip too :-)

thanks for joining us on the Stamp Something Digi Challenge :-)

luv
Lols x x x

craftybunny said...

What a lovely gift for your friends and a great idea too.Thanks for joining us at Pear Tree Designs :D

Emma (metalicbutterfly) said...

Great Card

loving the papers you have used
Thanks for playing at Allsorts this week...

Emma xxx

Vicky said...

Fabulous creation & an excellent idea for the ribbon. Thanks for sharing.
Thankyou for joining us at Sweet Stampin'

Hugs Vicky xx

Abi said...

What a fab post it note holder, I need one of these!! Great ribbon tip too. Thanks for playing along with our Sweet Stampin challenge x

Jerusha said...

This is so cool! I am going to have to try it sometime. Love the papers that you have used!!