Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dueling Tea Cups

Today's cards are inspired by a comment I received on SCS on this card. The commentor said it looked like it had white embossing on the tea cup. This gave me the idea to try a technique I hadn't tried before, Emboss Resist. You can find directions for the technique here. It is basically when you heat emboss an image and then you apply ink to the un-embossed areas by sponging. You then wipe the image off and the ink will not stick to the embossed part. It's like MAGIC. I tried a different method of applying color on the pink card and explain how I did it below. On the commented card, the flowers on the tea cup are the color of the cardstock it is stamped on. I wanted to add color to the flowers and thought this technique would be perfect to do that. And it was!





Both of these cards are for the SUO challenge 36, Try a New Technique. Yep, did that with Emboss Resist and a second never-before-tried technique on the pink card. The sketch is from Stamping 411 challenge 237.


The tea cup on the above card was stamped with Versamark on Whisper White cs and clear embossing powder.





I mentioned a different method to apply the color. I don't have any sponge daubers and my sponges wedges are difficult to use to apply multi colors in tight areas. I used the sponges on the white card. A light bulb came on and I thought, well the markers are the same ink as the ink pads so why not try those. I used the brush tip of the markers to go over the areas I wanted to be Island Indigo and Pear Pizazz, then wiped the embossed image off and voila! It worked wonderfully! Now for the second technique used on this card. It's hard to tell in the photo but the tea cup on the pink card is Blushing Bride. I used the technique where you ink the stamp with Versamark first and then the color ink of choice before stamping. When you stamp the image, the Versamark becomes the top layer for the embossing powder. I have wondered about this technique but never tried it. It's great!



I really love the detail on the tea cup colored in. It just adds so much to the tea cup.


Supplies (all SU):
Paper- Blushing Bride, Island Indigo, Pear Pizazz, Whisper White, Twitterpated dp (Occasions Mini)
Ink- Blushing Bride, Pear Pizazz, Island Indigo, Versamark
Stamps- Tea Shoppe
Other- clear ep, Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder, Pennant die, Modern Label punch, dimensionals, sponges.



Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about today's projects.

Happy Stampin'
Michele

12 comments:

Hi, I'm Lee Conrey! said...

Wow!!! Love the dueling tea cups. Just beautiful!

KellyS said...

Thanks for the technique tips, Michele! Lovely card!

Jennifer said...

Both of these are lovely! Thanks for sharing your prices in getting to both. I suspect we'll be seeing more emboss resist from you! Glad you joined us at SUO Challenges!

Jen Timko

Jennifer said...

Ahh, spell check...that should have been process, not prices. ;-)

Jen Timko

Cindee said...

Your tea cups are BEAUTIFUL!

Tammy Fite said...

WOW! That technique looks GREAT with this set!! Beautiful cards!

Cindy said...

Both cards are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the techniques, too. (I've wondered about the VersaMark/Classic ink - looks great!) Glad you joined us at SUO Challenges!

Deb said...

Beautiful cards. What a fun idea to color the embossing with markers. Thanks for joining in at SUO Challenges.

gbarron56 said...

Michele -- love how you used the teacup stamp! I haven't used that set yet but you've inspired me! Thanks so much for playing along this week on Stamping 411! Blessings, Gretchen

Selene Kempton said...

Absolutely inspiring. i'm loving what you did with this set. rock on!

Patti Chesky said...

Love, love, love these tea cups!

Heidi Baks said...

Love the bold colors of the left card! Thanks for playing with us!